Cookies help make the season bright (and buttery), and none are more scrumptious than these Christmas Butter Cookies!
They’re delicious on their own, but the mouthwatering topping is literally the icing on the cake…er, cookie.
Satisfy your sweet tooth and put this recipe from My Country Table on your holiday wish list. Milk not included 🙂
- 2 cups real unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour, more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound powdered sugar, maybe more
- 5 1/3 tablespoons real unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk, (enough milk for easy spreading consistency)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and powdered sugar on low speed with a mixer until the sugar is incorporated, then on medium speed until the mixture is light and creamy. Stir in dry ingredients that have been sifted together or mixed well with a fork.
- Working with about 1/3 of the dough at a time, roll dough out to about 1/4″ in thickness, on a lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 13 to 15 minutes or until the bottoms and edges are lightly browned and the tops are still very light, (not browned at all). Cool on a wire rack and decorate with buttercream frosting.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or use a microwave.
- Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk and mix it in. Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Add the second tablespoon of milk as needed for perfect spreading consistency.
- Beat the icing with a spoon until it’s satiny smooth. If the frosting seems too thick, add a tiny bit more milk, only 1 teaspoon at a time. If it’s too thin, add a little more sugar.
- Frost and decorate the cookies. Let the cookies sit, until the frosting has completely set.
- Store the cookies between layers of wax paper in an airtight container.
Whether you leave them out for Santa, or keep them all to yourself, sweeten your holiday season with these Christmas Butter Cookies!