Lemon may be the most underrated sweet treat. Chocolate may get all of the buzz — which is appropriate, as it’s delicious — but there’s just something especially sweet about lemon treats.
Lemon meringue. Lemon sherbert. Lemonade. And of course, lemon bars!
Want to bake your own, but don’t want to turn on your hot oven in the summer? We can’t blame you. Don’t be sour, because this simple microwave recipe uses way less power!
Try out this amazing recipe from Mom On Timeout!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice from your zested lemons
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Lightly grease a 9×9 inch microwave-safe baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, sugar and lemon zest together.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Press crust into prepared dish.
- Microwave for three minutes at 80% power. Check to make sure the crust is firm. If not, heat for an additional 30 seconds at 80% power.
- Set aside.
- Beat sugar, lemon zest, eggs, and lemon juice together.
- Beat in flour, baking powder and salt and continue beating for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the filling over the crust and microwave for three minutes at 80% power. Check the filling. It should be set with just a little jiggle. If it hasn’t set, microwave for an additional minute at 80% power and check again.
- Let the lemon squares cool completely and then refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Cut into squares, dust with powdered sugar and sprinkle additional lemon zest on if desired.
- Keep refrigerated.
For a lip-smacking flavor your family will love, these delightful lemon bars are a sweet treat that can’t be beat!