Popcorn Ball Recipe
- 7 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring
- Place the popcorn on a large baking pan and keep warm in a 200° oven.
- Mix the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat on the stove until a candy thermometer reads 235° (the “soft-ball stage”). Turn off the heat.
- Add the butter, vanilla and food coloring. Stir until the butter is melted. Immediately pour over the popcorn and stir until evenly coated.
- Once the mixture is cool enough, shape into 3-in. balls. Pro Tip: dip your hands in cold water to prevent sticking.
Candy Apple Recipe
- 12 small apples (red or green)
- 12 lollipop or popsicle sticks
- 3 cups sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon food coloring
- Wash and dry the apples.
- Insert the lollipop sticks or popsicle sticks into the apples. Set the apples on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper coated with cooking spray.
- Mix the sugar, corn syrup and water. Place in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Cook the mixture until a candy thermometer reaches 300ºF (the “hard-crack stage”).
- Take the candy mixture from the heat and carefully stir in the food coloring.
- Dip the apples into the candy mixture one by one. Swirl each apple to coat them thoroughly.
- Move the coated apples to the cookie sheet and let them cool until the candy has hardened.
Hand out these sweet treats to trick-or-treaters…or keep them all yourself (muahaha). Either way, these popcorn balls and candy apples are sure to be a huge hit this Halloween!