Let’s face it: The typical game day snack selection could use a little…something. Don’t get us wrong; we love the game day standards as much as anyone. But we also love shaking things up a little now and then.
So we jumped at the chance to try this churro recipe from Festival Foods. And we must say, these delightful bites might be our new favorite game day treat. Try them out!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- ¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1. Bring water, butter, and 1 tablespoon of sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and quickly stir it in with a sturdy wooden spoon. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the flour smells toasted and the mixture is thick, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Using the same wooden spoon, beat the flour mixture until cooled slightly but still warm, about 1 minute of constant stirring. Stir in the vanilla. Stir in the eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next.
3. Transfer the dough to a piping bag or gallon zip-top bag. Let the dough rest for one hour at room temperature. Meanwhile, prepare the cinnamon sugar and chocolate sauce.
4. Combine the cinnamon and remaining ½ cup sugar in large bowl. Set aside. Microwave the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe mixing bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until the chocolate is melted. Add the yogurt and whisk until smooth. Cover and set aside.
5. Preheat the air fryer to 375°F. Pipe the batter directly into the preheated air fryer, making six (3-inch) pieces and piping them at least ½-inch apart. Air fry until golden-brown, about 8-10 minutes. Immediately transfer the churros to the bowl of cinnamon sugar and toss to coat. Repeat with air frying the remaining batter. Serve the churros warm with the dipping sauce.
A little bit fluffy. A little bit crunchy. A whole lotta’ delicious. Add these tasty treats to your snack roster and you’ll be the big winner at every game.