What better way to kick off the new year than with a rich, delicious cake? The brilliant minds behind “National Chocolate Cake Day” were thinking the same thing, which is why they put this sweet holiday on January 27.
There’s no shortage of excellent chocolate cake recipes. We found one that was fast and easy (only five minutes!), and can be cooked in a microwave, so you can save energy too!
Thanks to serious eats for this seriously sweet dessert!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- ¾ cup cocoa, divided
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ plus ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup warm water
- Combine flour, ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a 1½ quart shallow microwave safe dish.
- Add egg yolks, butter, vanilla, chocolate chips, and water to the mix, and stir until almost combined (batter will be lumpy). Stir remaining 2 tablespoons cocoa and remaining ¼ cup sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle over batter.
- Microwave on high power until puffed, bubbling, and set (but still slightly jiggly), 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully remove from the microwave and serve warm.
Preparing this decadent dish only takes five minutes, but you can take all the time you need to enjoy it. Savor the moment in 2022, starting with this sweet treat!